Cyrus-IMAP Server Dead -- Any suggestions???

Nuno Silva nuno.silva at vgertech.com
Thu Apr 12 07:37:19 CEST 2007

Hi!

Webb, Paul wrote:
> Nuno Silva wrote:
>> I think that one is not fatal. The shell/user under which cyrus is
>> running just can't use some resource without limits (if using bash type:
>> help ulimit).
>>
>> Anyway, if this is the only warning/error I'd say that it's worth a try.
>> Not sure how this is done properly in Edgy but maybe you can edit the
>> init scripts and add some "ulimit unlimited"'s there?
>>
>> If this proves to be the cause, maybe it would be better to add those
>> ulimits to the official init scripts?
>>
>> Peace,
>> Nuno Silva
>>
> Hi Nuno,
>
> First, thanks for the fast response!
>
> I'm looking in /etc/init.d/kolab, and it looks to point at /kolab/etc/rc
> with some parameters. So I closed it and opened the rc script, and I
> can't find any reference to Cyrus or IMAP anywhere -- not to say that
> there isn't, because it *has* to call imap somewhere. So, the question
> is, where/what can I edit to make this change?

Maybe /kolab/etc/rc.d/rc.imapd

> Also, I did an "su kolab" and ran ulimit. It appears to be unlimited. I
> did the same with kolab-n, with the same result.

I thnk that for cyrus the user is kolab-r. Anyway, you shoulddo "help
ulimit" to see all the options. ulimit -a shows all your limits. 1024
suggests that it's "nofiles".

If you have /etc/security/limits.conf try adding:
kolab-r            hard    nofile          8192
kolab-r            soft    nofile          8192

...And restarting kolab.

> So, the next question that I have is simple -- if this error isn't
> fatal, what is causing my imapd to fail loading. Is there a better place
> to look for some diagnostic output?

All the logs. tail -F is your friend here.

ps auwx doesn't show the cyrus processes?

> Again, thanks for all the help!!
>
> -Paul

Peace,
Nuno Silva