Cyrus-IMAP Server Dead -- Any suggestions???

Webb, Paul pwebb at webbenabled.com
Thu Apr 12 04:42:22 CEST 2007

Nuno Silva wrote:
> I think that one is not fatal. The shell/user under which cyrus is
> running just can't use some resource without limits (if using bash type:
> help ulimit).
>
> Anyway, if this is the only warning/error I'd say that it's worth a try.
> Not sure how this is done properly in Edgy but maybe you can edit the
> init scripts and add some "ulimit unlimited"'s there?
>
> If this proves to be the cause, maybe it would be better to add those
> ulimits to the official init scripts?
>
> Peace,
> Nuno Silva

Hi Nuno,

First, thanks for the fast response!

I'm looking in /etc/init.d/kolab, and it looks to point at /kolab/etc/rc
with some parameters. So I closed it and opened the rc script, and I
can't find any reference to Cyrus or IMAP anywhere -- not to say that
there isn't, because it *has* to call imap somewhere. So, the question
is, where/what can I edit to make this change?

Also, I did an "su kolab" and ran ulimit. It appears to be unlimited. I
did the same with kolab-n, with the same result.

So, the next question that I have is simple -- if this error isn't
fatal, what is causing my imapd to fail loading. Is there a better place
to look for some diagnostic output?

Again, thanks for all the help!!

-Paul