kmail: problem making sieve vacation messages work

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 03:45:39 CEST 2007

On 4/2/07, Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj at urpla.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ingo Klöckner from kmail fame suggested to reraise my issue here, since
> kolab is using the cyrus imap server, and hopefully somebody is using
> kmails vacation feature successfully here (even a negative result would
> help to decide to report this bug):
>
> I'm trying to get the kmail sieve vacation messages going, but failed
> so far:
>
> On the server, I use cyrus-imapd 2.3.8, and operating on the sieve scripts
> with sieveshell and with kmail "Manage Sieve scripts" (freely translated
> from german) works fine for my diverse accounts (the receive account
> settings are fine ("server supports sieve" and "use system and user account
> data" activated)), but selecting "Configure "Out of Office" Replies",
> activating it, and pressing Ok leads to:
> Ungültige Adresse (URL): sieve://hp@imap.local.site:2000/?x-mech=PLAIN.
> if using plaintext login, with TLS or without any encryption,
> or
> Ungültige Adresse (URL): sieve://hp@imap.local.site:2000/?x-mech=DIGEST-MD5.
> if using digest-md5 login.
>
> I'm trying to use this feature since kmail 1.8 and cyrus imap 2.2.12 without
> success.
>
> I already browsed through the source, but failed to being able to locate the
> issue :-(.. While the code looks promising, I (and my other users) would
> love to see it in action ;-)..
>
> One thing, I don't like in the logic (even without seen it running..): To
> make this feature fully usable, it should provide a way to select the
> account, where the sieve script is activated. Now, it simply takes the
> first account with the sieve option enabled.
>
> Could someone give me hints on how to debug this problem further?

Use tcpdump, to dump the network packets.

Record the traffic using sieveshell then compare it with what kmail generate.
use
# tcpdump  -n -i lo -s 4096 -X port 2000
or
# tcpdump  -n -i eth0 -s 4096 -X port 2000

Try to reconize our login, password, command, ...
The protocol is very easy to understand.

http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/draft-martin-managesieve/

Hope this help

> TIA,
>   Pete
>
> [openSUSE 10.2 on server and client, cyrus-imapd 2.3.8 rpm build myself]

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you