KDE 3.5 Kontact vs. "Proko2"

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Sep 26 22:38:51 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 12:19, Robert Szentmihalyi wrote:
> could somebody please tell me the differences between the version of
> Kontact that comes with KDE 3.5 and "Proko2", which seems to be for KDE
> 3.4? The KDE 3.5 version of Kontact works nicely so far with Kolab2, but
> seems to be older, AFAICT.

http://www.kolab.org/about-kolab-clients.html :

The Kolab Project has developed a KDE Client which is based on KDE Kontact and
its components. All development was done within the KDE subversion repository
and contributed directly to the KDE project. Our improvements find their way
into the main developments at the pace of the KDE project.

Starting with KDE 3.4, Kontact covers all the functionality that Kolab Server
2.0 offers except personal distribution lists. The full functionality will be
in KDE 3.5 or later.

For production usage, we recommend the "Proko2" branch of KDEPIM. Proko2
packages have seen most testing of the Kolab functions and can be build for
KDE 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 . Check out the KDE Client Download section.

> What are people using in production environments?

Most use Proko2 branch for production.
We and the KDE project appreciate help with testing and improving the KDE 3.5
clients. There are a few known bugs which make Kontact on KDE 3.5
less suitable for production as Kolab client from our point of view.

The difference is that Kontact from KDE 3.5 is less tested as a Kolab Client.

Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner, www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
Germany Coordinator, fsfeurope.org       (Non-Profit Org for Free Software)