annotations.db again

T. Ribbrock itsef-admin at itsef.com
Fri Sep 22 10:30:50 CEST 2006

Hi all,

after not having had any problems for almost two months, we were moving
some largish quantities of mail around on the server (also, our number of
users has increased - some users with large mailboxes were added),
promptly resulting in a corrupted annotations.db again. This happened
several times even, during the past few days.

One thing I noticed, though, was an oddity of the "save_annotations"
script that was at one point offered as emergency workaround in issue840.
This script flagged some corruption, but when I used the "check" command
in that script manually (basically just "cvt_cyrusdb"), I noticed that
this command would work without failure if I ran it as root, while it
would fail if run as kolab-r. Does anybody know why this is? I've checked
all permissions on the directories in question, so that should not be it.

Cheerio,

Thomas

P.S.: Yes, I did just notice that save-annotations.sh is deprecated and I
will replace it with skiplistsafe.sh a.s.a.p. - but I'm still curious.