The concept of delegates...

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at itsef.com
Tue Sep 5 09:43:42 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 5 September 2006 09:26, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 August 2006 11:27, ITSEF Admin wrote:
> > I'm wondering about the concept of "delegates". From reading doc2.sxw, I
> > always assumed that the Kolab server would reject mails I send out if I
> > use an identity that I'm not a delegate of.
>
> this is the behaviour.

Ok, at least I understood this bit correctly.

> > However, I just ran a few
> > experiments out of curiousity, and to my surprise, I can just enter what
> > I want for "From:" in KMail's composer dialog - even non-existing or
> > external addresses. The mails will be sent and they will arrive with the
> > fictional identity I entered in the "From:" field.
>
> You probably have disabled the from header check,
> see the services tab.

That's right, I have it off. I tried enabling it, but that resulted in noone
being able to send mails to our distribution lists anymore - they all bounced
with error messages like

<NAME at OUR.DOMAIN>: service unavailable. Command output: Invalid From: header.
    SENDER NAME <SENDERNAME at OUR.DOMAIN> does not match
    envelope owner-LIST at OUR.DOMAIN

Alternatively, I'd get "nobody at OUR.DOMAIN" instead of "owner-LIST". I have the
sneaking suspicion that this is due to our dual-mailserver set-up - we still
have an old SLOX server running in parallel as we still haven't migrated all
our users to the Kolab server. Unless you happen to have an idea as to why
this would not work, I'll focus on getting rid of the SLOX server first
before tackling this type of problems again... :-(

Cheerio,

Thomas