Creating folders via IMAP, folder names with spaces, mail to folders...

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Oct 13 19:37:33 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 12:21, Waschk, Kolja wrote:
> we consider to migrate from an MS Exchange setup to Kolab v2. We make heavy
> use of public folders and have several folders which can be reached
> directly by e-mail, e.g. one for every particular project, for mailing
> lists etc.. overall they contain about 6 GB of mail and articles.

Note that group folders can almost serve the same purpose
given the right ACLs then global (aka public) folders.

>  But
> during further evaluation, the following issues came up (with 2.0.4
> release):
>
> 1) Folders created via IMAP don't show up in web admin interface (they're
> probably not added automatically to the LDAP database, maybe a cron job
> should do this which I didn't trigger yet?)

Global folder creation usally happens the other way round:
You create an LDAP object and kolabd will create the folder for you.
It should be no problem adding the LDAP objects later.

> 2) Nothing prevents creation of folders with spaces in their name, but mail
> to them doesn't work, because it isn't possible to specify local parts of
> recipients with spaces in them. I looked if it's possible to specify
> alternative addresses for those folders and came across
> http://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue1036 - what's it current state?

Best ask this in the tracker itself to ping the participants of the issue.

> I can see that "alias" MAY be specified for kolabSharedFolders in LDAP in
> upcoming Kolab server release but is it honored? Can I mail to a folder
> using this alias?
>
> If we transferred the folder hierarchy as-is, a large number of folders
> would be named like
>
>  "shared.folders/Projects/XX123456X - 2. Extension Of Test Project"
>
> Sure, we can rename them all to look more like newsgroup names. Actually
> this is a minor issue and won't keep us from migrating from Exchange. But
> maybe there is a simple solution to enable mailing to those folders with
> spaces in their names? If they could be given simple aliases, this would
> solve it... (the example above could be reached as xx123456x at mydomain.tld)

The aliases would be expanded by postfix into a different email address.
So if you manage to create such an alias with postfix then the
alias funcationality of the LDAP object would be nice for your.
So I would try this first.

> On the other hand, I feel that something should prevent creation of folders
> that lack certain functionality because of special characters in their
> name.

The folder itself is usable, though not for sending email to it.
If you use a folder as top folder for subfolder or as calender folder,
you do not want to send email to it.
So Cyrus cannot know when you create the folder if you want to
send emails to it later or not.

Bernhard