Kolab + Samba PDC; Kolab Webadmin "Could not bind to LDAP server: Invalid credentials "

Alan Murrell alan at van.murrell.ca
Sun Nov 12 08:08:14 CET 2006

Hi There,

I know this is not officially supported, but I was working through the HOWTO
for doing this located at <http://wpkg.org/kolab/>,a nd am hoping someone
might be able to point out what may be going wrong, as I am getting the error
indicated in the subject line when trying to log into the Kolab webadmin.

First, some background details...

My platform is:

  Mandriva 2007.0
  Mandriva Kolab packages + dependancies (OpenLDAP, cyrus, etc.)

My LDAP information is as follows:

  Samba Domain: MURRELL-CA
  rootdn: cn=manager,cn=internal,dc=murrell-van,dc=local

I basically wanted to use the Mandriva Kolab packages because they use the
system installs of Apache, OpenLDAP, etc., rather than running it all in a
chrooted environment.

I got the Samba PDC with LDAP working no problem using the rootdn indicated
above (which is the default for Kolab).  I used the smbldap-tools to do the
inital population of the LDAP database.

I got Kolab installed and configured with the 'kolab_bootstrap - b' command.
I could log into the webadmin interface with no problem (it switched to using
the Kolab-created slapd.conf, etc.)

I installed ldap-account-manager and phpLDAPadmin, and could log into those no
problem and manipulate the LDAP databases (wherher I was running OpenLDAP
with the Kolab LDAP database or the Samba PDC one I had created earlier)

I did the export of the Kolab LDAP database and imported it into the Samba PDC
one.  I added the additional access bindings from theKolab slapd.conf file to
the Samba PDC one,andmade sure the Kolab-specific schemas were added.  I
then restarted OpenLDAP using the Samba PDC slapd.conf (and other files), and
it started no problem.  I could log in and browse using ldap-account-manager
and phpLDAPadmin.

When I tried to get into the Kolab webadmin, that's when I got the "Could not
bind to LDAP server: Invalid credentials" error.  When I restarted OpenLDAP
using the Kolab slapd.confand other files, I still get the error, so I messed
something up.

Any ideas what?

One other thing: I also tried to import the Samba PDC LDAP info into the Kolab
LDAP database, but it got to an error about invalid syntax when it tried to
import the "root" and "nobody" user information, as well as some of the other
group information, but other information from the Samba PDC LDAP database
imported no problem.  I did make sure I started the Kolab openLDAP with the
samba.schema loaded.

Any ideas why the Samba PDC openLDAP database would have no problem importing
the Kolab LDAP entries, but the Kolab openLDAP database would give
the "invalid syntax" for at least half of the Samba PDC entries?

Thanks, in advance,for your help.

Sincerely,

Alan Murrell