pflogsumm returning no daily statistics and only two days for weekly stats

T. Ribbrock admin_slox-e at itsef.com
Tue May 23 09:07:33 CEST 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 07:35:08PM +0200, Blessing Chisvo wrote:
> I have the following line in my /etc/crontab
>

> 10 0 * * * root /kolab/sbin/pflogsumm -d yesterday
> /kolab/var/postfix/log/postfix.log 2>&1 | /bin/mail -s "`uname -n` daily
> mail stats" admin at xyz.co.zw
>
> 20 0 * * 0 root /kolab/sbin/pflogsumm /kolab/var/postfix/log/postfix.log.0
> 2>&1 | /bin/mail -s "`uname -n` weekly mail stats" admin at xyz.co.zw
>
> The daily report comes out as below:
[...]

If you take a look at the dates of the postfix.log* files in
/kolab/var/postfix/log/postfix.log you will notice that they are rotated
at 0:00h - which means that your "daily" will not get the necessary data
at 0:10h. Also, the files are rotated every two days (at least that seems
to be the case on our Kolab server), so your second script will never have
more than two days of data to analyse if you're only looking at
postfix.log.0.

I'm also wondering whether you need to do "daily" yourself - in our
/kolab/var/postfix/log, there already *are* daily summary files,
apparently generated by Kolab itself (never noticed till now...).

Cheerio,

Thomas