kolabd package available in Debian sid

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon May 8 17:53:49 CEST 2006

Richard,

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 03:33:59PM +0200, Richard Bos wrote:
> > The estimation of many developers is that Horde is probably very hard to
> > fix because of design problems. Fixing Horde or using different components
> > will be a lot of work.

> is it possible for you to point out the problems that you see with respect to
> horde working together with kolab?  Looking at the bug reports in the horde
> bugdb (http://bugs.horde.org/ fill in 'kolab' in the summary field), there
> aren't too many issue's.  Especially not design issue's...

I have had several developers that have deeply looked into the code say
that they cannot bring Horde as Kolab Client into a stable, maintainable state.
It supposetly is more inexpensive to write a new webclient.
I have not a detailed list of technical reasons and it probably
would be a major piece of work to produce them.

What my understanding of the design problems is:

	a) the use of the database versus Kolab's design of imap folders.
           It will create almost unsolvable sync issues and hurt stability.
           And if the code is spread throughout
           Horde, this will be hard to change.

	b) Horde needs higher privileges. This is in contrast
	   to the Kolab-Webinterface that only works with the
           priviledges of one user. If true, this would hurt the security.
           Note that database application are often designed this way,
	   Kolab can do differently which is a plus.

This means design incompatibilities that say nothing about how good
Horde is when used standalone.

> Or do you refer to this:
> http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab2_Installation_-_Horde#Customisation_to_run_with_Kolab ??

No, not in particular,
though some bugs there could be related to the design issue.

	Bernhard