Failed to retrieve user's DN: [-1] Can't contact LDAP server

Alan Hartless harty83 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 18:11:28 CET 2006

I couldn't get the frames to come up correctly using the tarballs of horde's
3.1 framework.  (I increased the memory_limit and it did not work.  Since I
did not install from cvs the first go round because the new version
supposedly supported kolab, I did not have a framework/install-packages.php
script).  So now I'm trying to install the latest from cvs. I've kept the 3.1
version and installed the cvs version into another directory.  But, after I
get everything set up and create the config file, I get this error

Failed to retrieve user's DN: [-1] Can't contact LDAP server

I get it everytime I try to log in. If I enter a bad password or username, it
tells me.  If I enter the correct stuff, I get the error.  I can log in
through my kolab webadmin and I can log in through the 3.1 version of horde,
so I know my ldap server is up and running.

My conf.php file is exactly the same for both installs except for the few
additions in the cvs version.

Any ideas?

Alan