Exclude folders from sync?

T. Ribbrock admin_slox-e at itsef.com
Wed Mar 15 13:57:51 CET 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 12:58:29PM +0100, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 15. März 2006 12:34 schrieb T. Ribbrock:
> > Hm, I can't seem to get this to work. I just created an ordinary IMAP
> > account for the same user account (i.e. same server and all as the Kolab
> > DIMAP account), but if I unsubscribe any folder in the Kolab account, it
> > gets unsubscribed for the IMAP account as well - is there a trick I
> > missed?
>
> That's intended behavior. The trick is to show only subscribed folders in
> your DIMAP account. Only those are sync'ed to your local machine. In the
> online IMAP account, there you show _all_ folders (not only the subscribed
> ones) and can access them remote as you need to access an "archived"
> message.

I see. The other issue I just noticed is that this interferes with
Squirrelmail (which we use to make mail accessible from the outside until
the Horde client is up to speed) - anything you unsubscribe in KMail on
the DIMAP account gets unsubscribed there, too. Slightly annoying - and
will cause lots of explaining if I decide to offer this workaround to any
of our users.
Also, we have shared folders that might be accessible, but of no interest
to a given user, hence, (s)he would not usually subscribe to these. In the
IMAP account, all of these would be visible. Also slightly annoying.

Nonetheless, the gain in operating speed is BLINDING - I now have my
account set up this way. The DIMAP account only has the groupware folders,
while the IMAP account has all 89 folders. Checking mail on the IMAP
account takes *less* time than checking the few folders that are left in
the DIMAP account. The difference is so big, it's not funny anymore. :-/

> BTW if you have to top level folder for your IMAP account closed, KMail
> won't try to access the server for the online IMAP account. It's quite
> handy when working offline.

Nice one, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Cheerio,

Thomas