always having to change permissions of main.cf

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Wed Mar 8 17:26:57 CET 2006

* Alan Hartless <harty83 at gmail.com> [20060307 13:17]:
> So, every so often (getting pretty regular now) I stop receiving messages
> fetchmail is forwarding.  So I go to my procmail log and see this error:
> sendmail: fatal: open /kolab/etc/postfix/main.cf: Permission denied
>
> I then have to go and chmod 644 postfix's main.cf and all is working well
> again.  I've also tried to add user uucd to the group kolab-r.  But somehow,
> it seems that at some point, kolab decides to overwrite both back to the
> original state.

The generated main.cf contains passwords, so it shouldn't be
readable for everyone. Adding whatever user to the kolab-r group
should help, but some programs may drop such privileges.

As a workaround you could use something like nullmailer or ssmtp
(see http://wiki.mutt.org/?LightSMTPagents for alternatives) and let
them talk to port 25 while fetchmail calls their sendmail
incarnation.

Thomas

Email: thomas at intevation.de
http://intevation.de/~thomas/