[OT?] Re-sync "Local Folders"?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jul 18 09:54:02 CEST 2006

Am Dienstag, 18. Juli 2006 09:12 schrieb T. Ribbrock:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 09:05:57AM +0200, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> > KMail detects the missing indexes and recreates the files. It may
> > take some seconds depending on how many messages are in the
> > folder(s). However, some information stored only in the index files
> > (e.g. the replied status and some more stati) are lost.
>
> The replied status is in the index file?! I'd have expected it in the
> mbox file, like e.g. mutt does...

Rewriting the mbox file is magnitudes slower than rewriting the index
file. Therefore KMail stores the stati in the index files. Yes, we
could write the stati to the mbox file during compaction. But I don't
think we'll put much more effort into the mbox format. The format of
choice is maildir.

mutt doesn't use index files so you can't compare KMail and mutt in this
respect. mutt simply has no other choice than to write the status
information to the mbox file.

Regards,
Ingo