[OT?] Easy-to-use archiving mail in kontact?

Torsten Irländer torsten.irlaender at intevation.de
Tue Jul 11 14:56:31 CEST 2006

On Monday, 10. July 2006 15:45, T. Ribbrock wrote:

> The problem: We want to give our users the possibility to archive their
> mails to a CD-ROM, so they can clean up their IMAP accounts from time to
> time, thus saving space on the server.

> Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy option to do so in kontact
> - e.g. you cannot simply drag'n'drop a mailfolder into k3b to burn it on a
> CD-ROM. Hence, my question: Has anybody out there solved this problem and
> devised a method for users to easily get their mails archived on a CD

Hi,
I'm sorry but I also don't know an easy "one-click" solution for your problem.
But I appreciate very much an "export/import" function for mails in the same
way we know it for addresses or events. Maybe we should discuss this here or
on the devel list or simply open an issue for this in the tracker.

The only options I can imagine at the moment are:

1. Copying the mails by hand into a local Foder under ~/Mail and burn this
folder in a second step. This could be done by most users but might be
unpractical if you have large folder structures.

2. Burn Mailfolders found in .kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap ... I think would be
the most easy way... if the user understand how folder are organized here. Ok
I think in most cases this is no option.

Reimporting archived mails is done in the oposite way and should be no
problem.

However, I think an import and export function using mbox would be great.

Best Torsten

--
Torsten Irländer                                    Intevation GmbH

torsten.irlaender at intevation.de
http://www.intevation.de/