Toltec LDAP problem

Patrick Noffke patrick.noffke at noffkeit.com
Fri Jan 27 05:20:25 CET 2006

Patrick Noffke wrote:

> I'm trying the Toltec Connector and LDAP address book on evaluation.
> I was able to get the connector to work, but I get an error about the
> LDAP address book when starting outlook that reads:
>
> Unable to connect to the LDAP server.  Error code 0x0.  Do you want to
> work offline?
>
> I've configured the address book as pictured in the Toltec manual.
>
> I am able to connect to the LDAP server from Kontact.
>
> Is there anything obvious to try?

Found the problem.  Good ol' Ethereal.  The problem was my windows
machine could not resolve the hostname.  Entering the IP address fixed it.

Here are all the gory details, in case anyone is curious:

I'm running both Windows and my kolab server inside of VMWare.  On both
hosts, I'm using bonjour (Apple's implementation of zeroconf).  Bonjour
implements multicast DNS, which is handy for resolving host names if you
don't have a DNS server.  In my case, my kolab host is kolab.local.  I
did an ethereal capture on both my Windows VM and on my Linux host
(which was running both Windows and kolab in VMWare).  For some reason
my Windows VM wasn't receiving the multicast packets (though it was
sending them okay) containing the DNS responses.  I can see the queries
going out, and my Linux host can see the responses, but they don't make
it to the Windows VM.  However, the Windows VM DOES resolve kolab.local
for the Toltec IMAP Connector and all other apps (ping, web browsing,
etc.).  Very strange.

P.S.  Sorry for the vCard last email.  Was in a rush and forgot to
remove it (thunderbird seems to want to hide the fact it's attached).

Pat