Bootstrap error

Patrick Noffke patrick.noffke at noffkeit.com
Tue Jan 24 23:14:55 CET 2006

>+----------------------------------------------------------------------
>| [Tue Jan 24 21:53:18 2006] [alert] apache: Could not determine the
>server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------

**fully qualified** domain name means just that.  Try this in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       mail.yourdomain.org       mail  localhost.localdomain
localhost

You get the same error when trying to run apache on any machine (kolab
or not) when you don't fully qualify your hostname.

Alternatively, I think there is an option in apache.conf that will
override the hostname.

 From my FC4 machine's apache.conf:

#
# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify
itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
#
# If this is not set to valid DNS name for your host, server-generated
# redirections will not work.  See also the UseCanonicalName directive.
#
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address
here.
# You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make
# redirections work in a sensible way.
#
#ServerName www.example.com:80

Pat