Greylisting in kolab to reduce spam

Andrew J. Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Thu Dec 28 09:55:27 CET 2006

On Thursday 28 December 2006 01:08, Divan Santana wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Quick question hopefully someone knows this... ?
>
> I know in postfix you can implement postgrey which I have find to help
> reduce spam quite a bit in the past.
>
> I believe you can intergreat postgrey in kolab but I'm not sure if there is
> a point.
>
> Is the
> "smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_policy_service
> unix:private/kolabpolicy" and
> "kolabpolicy_time_limit = 3600
> kolabpolicy_max_idle = 20"
> a similar thing to  postgrey?
> If it is how does this work so that I can try increase it to reduce spam?

No it is not the same ...

If you check the /kolab/etc/postfix/master.cf you will see what that policy
service is.  It points to : /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_smtpdpolicy

From that file the comments state the services :

# 1) Only authenticated users can use From addresses <username>@$domain
# 2) Some distribution lists are only available to authenticated users

> If not then I'll maybe go ahead and try intergreat postgrey into kolab.

postgrey is very simple to integrate ... I have done it on several
installations.

Install and configure postgrey to your liking, and then add :

check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:60000,

to the smtpd_recipient_restrictions configuration, and make sure it is before
the check_policy_service unix:private/kolabpolicy entry.

HTH,

Andy