Horde not working with my Kolab

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Dec 19 13:29:47 CET 2006

Hi Stéphane,

> I managed to set up Horde as a client for my Kolab server, with no database at
> all! I retrieved the CVS and followed most of the instructions in the Kolab
> wiki, minus the database setup.

current Horde CVS still requires a mysql db as backend.

> The database did not seem necessary, only for the "DataTree", what is that?

As you mention: The database is necessary for "DataTree". Since Horde
maps the Kolab Groupware folders to Shares and these Shares are
managed within the DataTree framework you assumption that a database
is not necessary is not quite correct :)

> The preferences are stored in the LDAP of Kolab, I had to add the horde schema
> to the openldap configuration file.

Correct.

> Now I have trouble with all the groupware applications: Turba, Kronolith and
> Mnemo. They are all set up to use Kolab but do not seem to be able to read
> the groupware mailboxes. The error messages are not meaningful ate all, stuff
> like: "Cannot move calendar folder Calendar to Contacts, folder already
> exists"...
>
> All the folders already exist and should be annotated properly because they
> were initiated either by Kontact or Tolltec.
>
> And more errors like that...
>
> Now I removed all horde apps keeping only email (IMP) and filters (INGO) which
> work ok for me now.

Without knowing exactly how you configured Horde it is hard to comment
on the errors.

I believe one can get Horde to work on OPenPKG (even without a
database), but what you definitely need to do is to apply the Share
driver patch:

http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/?id=4263

There will still be minor issues but the groupware functionality
should basically work. There will be no more patches necessary for
Horde and I hope that this one patch will also finally find its way
into Horde CVS. But it is larger and touches more areas so it might
still take a while.

If you need specific configuration information concerning Horde you
can take a look at the configuration templates I use on Gentoo:

http://projects.pardus.de/kolab/browser/ebuilds/www-apps/

Each of the packages in that directory hold a "files" subdirectory
that (among other files) provides templates for automatic Horde
configuration. On Gentoo these templates get installed into
/etc/kolab/templates directory and they configure Horde automatically.

This would be one example:

http://projects.pardus.de/kolab/browser/ebuilds/www-apps/horde-kolab/files/horde-kolab-conf-20061120.template

I originally intended to write some instructions on getting Horde to
work on OpenPKG with the necessary patches applied. But since I plan
to move Kolab towards the current Horde package (Kolab still uses a
very old fork) I decided that it makes more sense to write these
instructions once the process is finished.

But in principle the Kolab side does not matter too much and applying
this one patch to Horde should be sufficient.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I'll try to answer
them and maybe this can be the basis for a small HowTo on the
wiki. Would be nice.

> Is there anything else that works for sure? I thought global ldap addressbook
> (with turba) should work but it does not seem to.

Did not test that in a while.

> Is there an issue with localisation actually? I access Kolab with Horde in
> French but the folders have been created in English by Kolab, which seems to
> be the right way to go: folder name in C locale, then translated on the fly
> by any client, Horde seems to expect the folder name in French, that's odd.

There might still be issues even with the new Share driver. But I'm
not certain.

> I sure need to digg more into it, but I wanted to hear some success stories
> here, anybody lucky?

On Gentoo I have several people using the complete Horde groupware
functionality successfully with Kolab. I do still get bug reports and
there are still known open bugs (see http://bug.pardus.de) but the
basics are ok.

Cheers,

Gunnar

E-mail : wrobel at pardus.de                          Dr. Gunnar Wrobel
Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                      Hartwig-Hesse Str. 12
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20257 Hamburg