why so many pop3 and imap ports ?

Andrew J. Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Tue Dec 19 07:20:11 CET 2006

On Monday 18 December 2006 22:11, JOYDEEP wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Kolab-bootstrap reports
>
> KOLAB BOOTSTRAP
>
> Check for running webserver on port 82

HTTP (Sometimes used)

> Check for running webserver on port 447

I do not know for sure ... But I assume it is sometimes used for HTTP +
SSL ... I can not say for sure.

> Check for running imap server on port 143

IMAP

> Check for running imap server on port 220

IMAP3

> Check for running imap server on port 585

IMAP4 + SSL (Use 993 instead)

> Check for running imap server on port 993

IMAPS

> Check for running pop3 server on port 109

POP2

> Check for running pop3 server on port 110

POP3

> Check for running pop3 server on port 473

hybrid-pop ... I am not familiar with this.

> Check for running pop3 server on port 995

POP3 + SSL

> I wounder why so many imap and pop3 ports ? 4 imap and 4 pop3, any idea ?
> thanks

The short answer is checking for all standard services ... and even some not
so common ones as well.

Andy