SSL/TLS entropy problem, aka pops timeouts (was: sasl ldap problem)

Stéphane Konstantaropoulos skonstant at sgul.ac.uk
Wed Dec 6 13:01:13 CET 2006

Le mardi 05 déc 2006 14:00, Divan Santana a écrit :
> On Friday 17 November 2006 15:30, Stéphane Konstantaropoulos wrote:
> > Right so, use /dev/hw_random if you want good quality and high speed at
> > the same time, all recent intel, AMD and Via processors have such a
> > device.
> >
> > You need to load hw_random module, or amd-rng or intel-rng on newer
> > kernels.
> >
> > (add the modrprobe command to your init scripts and you'll be sorted)
>
> Hi All, Stéphane and Bernhard,
>
> OK, I have tried to load hw_random into the kernel by modprobe hw_random .
> It worked:
> lsmod |grep ran
> hw_random               7320  0
>
> But, there is no l /dev/hw_random or anything close?
>
> Is there a how to somewhere regarding this? I don't know what is the
> correct way of making the device and making /dev/random work rather than
> linking it to /dev/urandom ?
>
> Any ideas? :)
> --
> Divan Santana

Does your linux distro not use udev? udev creates /dev/hw_random
automatically.

If not, is your /dev hard (not devfs)?

You may need to create the device yourself after lodaing the module then.

The command is:

mkdnod /dev/hw_random 10 183

(I am not 100% sure of those two numbers, that's on my version of Linux
2.6.18, can anybody confirm?)

(What distibution do you use?)
--
Stéphane Konstantaropoulos <skonstant at sgul.ac.uk>