Server-Side Distribution Lists Support In Kolab

Adrien Guillon guila at dainty.ca
Tue Aug 15 20:02:18 CEST 2006

Thank you for your responses.

I did know that I could use he distribution list editor in Kontact, I just was
not sure if the information would get stored on the server.  Our addresses
are all in LDAP.  However, I was under the impression that Kolab just stores
email addresses in the distribution list on the server side... whereas
KAddressBook puts a unique key in each entry in its distribution list
referencing the full contact for local distribution lists.

What I would like to be able to do, is have a global repository of
distribution lists that can be shared corporately, which is composed of
corporate contacts provided by LDAP.  Even better if users can create their
own distribution lists, and then decide to "share them" and upload them to
LDAP and make them globally accessible.

It would also be nice if users could be described by roles, or placed into
something like UNIX groups, and then their contacts / distribution lists is
an aggregatation of what they can read.

I'm not sure if Kolab meets this need, but I have been reading documentation
here and there to find out.

Presently, we have hacked Kontact to give us this functionality using shell
scripts and local distribution list files.  It's not pretty, but it works for
now...

Thanks.

AJ