Server-Side Distribution Lists Support In Kolab

Hamish admin at subvs.co.uk
Fri Aug 4 13:48:50 CEST 2006

On Friday 04 August 2006 04:42, Adrien Guillon wrote:
>    Hello All,
>
>    Forgive me for the simple question... but I have not seen this in the
> documentation...  Does Kolab support distribution lists which are stored on
> the server?  Do you know if KMail supports this functionality in Kolab?
> What about support for multiple users creating their own distribution lists
> of global contacts, and then sharing those lists with others (or putting
> them into the global directory) ?
>
>    I'm looking for an easy way to share multiple distribution lists with
> many users corporately.
>
>    Thanks!

Hi Adrien

Kolab does support distribution lists, it is accessable from the admin gui,
under "Distribution Lists". Just add the users that you want in the list and
its job done (you may need to create contacts in your global contact list for
outside addresses). As far as I know, there is no way for users to create and
then share their own distribution lists (although I may well be proven wrong
on that)

For low priority internal use, I have found it much easier to use shared
folders. This way users can subscribe and unsubscribe as they wish. Dont use
this for important communications though, because a lot of users will use
the "I didnt get the email" line. Shared folders are good for company
socials, internal classifieds etc.

Hope that helps,