Slim install

Christopher Rued c.rued at xsb.com
Fri Apr 28 15:44:40 CEST 2006

Hamish wrote:
> On Thursday 27 April 2006 21:43, Christopher Rued wrote:
>
>> I've searched through the archives, and haven't found the
>> question/answer that I'm struggling with....There are a *lot* of
>> packages built and installed by Kolab, most of which I already have
>> installed (gcc, bash, apache, openldap, gzip...).
>>
>> Is there a way to convince the installer not to install all these
>> redundant packages and instead use what's already on my system?

Thanks for your reply.

> Hi Chris
> Openpkg is used to provide a single installation environment for Kolab - it is
> a lot easier to support and diagnose problems when there are no variations of
> distribution-specific compilation or options in packages. Have a read of
> http://www.openpkg.org/documentation/article/ to get a bit more info on it.

Understood, but I must say I'm not excited to see "yet another package
management system"

> Also, there are patches for Kolab-specific packages that have not been put
> upstream, so there are some you will need to patch yourself if you go this
> way.

gcc?  perl?  I dunno, it's like they packaged an entire linux distro
tool set.  This seems excessive: it makes the download (unnecessarily?)
huge, and makes the build take a(n unnecessarily?) long time.  It seems
to me that there should be an easy, documented way to do it with
existing tools.

> There is an effort to integrate Kolab into some distributions, check the wiki
> fro this:
> http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Integrating_Kolab2_Server_in_GNU/Linux_distributions
> Just be aware that it will be more difficult to get support if you have
> a "special" installation.

Thanks for the link.  It looks like it would be much more of a headache
than I'm willing to take on right now.  I've just bit the bullet and
decided to install it on a different machine (the one I was planning on
using already had openldap, apache, etc.).

While installing, I had a problem where it complained that it could not
find perl-x.x.x-x.x.x.src.rpm and the perl install failed (the file it
was looking for was one of the downloaded files).  I decided to start
over and save the output of the build to a file so that I have more to
go on.  I'll probably send another message later today giving more detail.

Thanks

--Chris