Slim install

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 00:24:19 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 April 2006 21:43, Christopher Rued wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've searched through the archives, and haven't found the
> question/answer that I'm struggling with....There are a *lot* of
> packages built and installed by Kolab, most of which I already have
> installed (gcc, bash, apache, openldap, gzip...).
>
> Is there a way to convince the installer not to install all these
> redundant packages and instead use what's already on my system?
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.
>
> --Chris

Hi Chris
Openpkg is used to provide a single installation environment for Kolab - it is
a lot easier to support and diagnose problems when there are no variations of
distribution-specific compilation or options in packages. Have a read of
http://www.openpkg.org/documentation/article/ to get a bit more info on it.

Also, there are patches for Kolab-specific packages that have not been put
upstream, so there are some you will need to patch yourself if you go this
way.
There is an effort to integrate Kolab into some distributions, check the wiki
fro this:
http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Integrating_Kolab2_Server_in_GNU/Linux_distributions
Just be aware that it will be more difficult to get support if you have
a "special" installation.
Hope that helps,