Pre-install questions

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 22:35:13 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 April 2006 10:00, Jim C wrote:
> The technical document you sent me recommends using cvs to download the
> kolab pieces. Would this result in using stable or the beta?

Unless you feel like testing (and dealing with the possibility of the server
beating you up and stealing your lunch), I would go for the stable version.
If you will just install on your home computer, go for the beta and help
test!

>  Or should I download stable from a mirror? For Ubuntu Breezy 5.10, use the
> Debian 3.1? Or Debian sources?

I would guess the debain sources will work on this.

>  Is Amavis set up to work out of the box, or do I have to change the ports
> in Postfix?

Have a look at the wiki (wiki.kolab.org) for some good info on setting up
amavis with spamassassin, antivirus etc

>  Should I use the Amavis provided, or would it be easier to set it up on
> the host system? I want to use Clamav, and Spamassassin with Razor and
> "Rules du Jour".
>
>  What functionality is missing with the Horde? Email, calendaring,
> contacts, todo's all there?

The last time I played with horde it beat me up and stole my lunch. There may
have been more development into it in the mean time, but I have settled with
using squirrelmail (roundcube looks promising too)

> What mailing list do I subscribe to so I get notifications to security
> updates to stable?

This users list is the perfect place to ask questions like this. If you want
to develop and submit patches for kolab, join the devel list as well (it
might pay to join anyway, just so you can "lurk" and see what is going on
with the devs)

Hope it goes well!