Serverside Sign and Crypt E-Mails

Giovanni Baroni baroni at datacomm.ch
Wed Apr 12 15:50:33 CEST 2006

Bernhard Reiter schrieb:
> I doubt this to some extend as they might get a false feeling of security.
> It would be better if as administrator you speak to the administrators
> of the companies you exchange a lot of email with and add TLS for SMTP
> between your MTAs.

Yes already done. At least on 2 HostingServices. And one of them is
planning to implement such protocolls in the future.

>> It's not very userfriendly to use this tools on the client. Also it
>> depends on the client (outlook, thunderbird, webaccess....)
>> It's also a horrorscenario for administrating this for all clients :(
>
> I disagree as  after the Ägypten Project doing this with KDE is not harder
> then to regularily install a KDE. It is quite user friendly.

You've right. At least in the linux-world. I know that a combination of
kolab Server and Windows Clients are out of a mainstream solution.

I begann to migrate in 2001 a little KMU to a full linux-world. After 2
years i had to migrate all back to Windows Clients...
Doesn't think that this scenario is today better (depends on needed
softwareapplications, accept......

... hups stop... sorry... this is very offtopic

> Because of the fear of lower security, because of false feeling for higher
> security, I am not yet fully convinced of this.

Security also depends on installationscenario... My scenario would be 1
User, 1 Account, 1 KolabServer on 5 Clients.
Couldn't see any security troubles on this special scenario.

> I suggest to send good feedback to the vendors, so they have a chance to
> improve their products.

Yes konsec was informed last week, and i did some extratests with
another outlook clientversion.
Toltec was informed this morning.

No idea how much interest this issues have.

Giovanni