personal opinion.....

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sun Oct 30 11:21:44 CET 2005

Am Sonntag, 30. Oktober 2005 01:21 schrieb Markus Feilner:

Hi Markus,

> > Yes, Kolab requires enhanced versions (some patches and versions are
> > required)
>
> And why does it?

The enhancments fix bugs and add required functionality. After all we are
doing much more with these components than plain old email.

> Why are they necessary?

Theay are required for the more advances features we are providing.

> What exactly are the reasons that make patched software necessary?
> Can you give some examples?

E.g. we fixed a bug in the handling of groups in imapd. This bug was
preventing group acls from working properly. Another example is that we added
improved annotation handling to imapd in order to be able to put metadata
there.

> I am one of the "friends" Markus mentioned, and I have worked with
> different Groupware Servers. Only kolab seems to need patched versions of
> standard software to accomplish the same tasks like others do.

Kolab is solving some issues other did not manage to solve for years.

> I have tried e.g. OpenXchange and before the SuSe Open-Xchange - and I
> consider its necessity for a java server disgusting and unnecessary,
> because other groupware solutions do without.

FYR: SLOX contains _many_ patches to the original software!

> egroupware in fact could be a very good role model for Kolab at the moment.
> Just try the installation and configuration routine - all from the browser

This is simply not correct. You can't install egroupware from the browser.

> - this is state of the art! The only thing missing is the ability to store
> groupware data in the IMAP folders.

Kolab is much more than storing groupware data in imap folder. It sofar is the
only working oss cross platform solution which really works with Outlook.

> And sadly, I was told this week that Kolab is out of the game in the Limux
> Project (Munich City) - Is this also because of the lack of modern online
> updates? Does anybody know?

I have no clue about the LiMux project and Kolab. But I can tell you that
neither the Kolab Konsortium nor me have been approached about Kolab and the
LiMux project. If they don't even talk to us then I assume they did not even
evaluate it.

Markus: Before spreading rumors can you come up with some facts about LiMux
and Kolab?

Regards,
-- martin

--