personal opinion.....

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri Oct 28 22:18:51 CEST 2005

Am Freitag, 28. Oktober 2005 21:36 schrieb Joe Auty:

Hi Joe,

> > How do you want to keep the coherent management infrastructure
> > (kolabd) with
> > e.g. a SUSE Apache?
> >
> > The problem is that SUSE admins expect that YaST handles the
> > Apache, imapd,...
> > configuration not kolab....
>
> Well, are there technical issues with mixing and matching user
> installed parts with Kolab (i.e. Kolab requiring specific versions),

Yes, Kolab requires enhanced versions (some patches and versions are required)

> or are they issues of management,

management is a big issue. E.g. when a user is added to Kolab several
configuration files need to be modified and a cyrus imapd mailbox created
etc.

> installation, and organization?

Installation and organization are very minor issues.

BTW I still fail to understand why using the server componentes e.g. from RH
etc. is considered a big advantage. What is the big problem in
installing/upgrading/maintaining an OpenPKG rpm compared to a RH or SUSE rpm?

Regards,
-- martin

--
http://www.erfrakon.com/