My experience with kolab and Ubuntu, and some questions...

David Correia baal-uix at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 19 16:37:00 CET 2005

Le jeudi 17 novembre 2005 à 21:41 +0100, Bernhard Reiter a écrit :
> Hi David,
> if you have not gotten answers yet...

Hi Bernhard

> Am Mittwoch, 2. November 2005 16:47 schrieb David Correia:
> > I've installed a Kolab server in a Ubuntu Hoary server. The installation
> > was a quite difficult, because it couldn't use some pakages, so i've
> > downloaded the source pakages too and it works after about a hour of
> > installation.
>
> It should not have been that difficult as Ubuntu Hoary should be close to
> Debian. It is normal to download all source packages.

Yes you're right, it's very close, so i found a way to install it. First
i launch the install with only the packages, then i launch obmtool an
other time with the SRC packages, so it install the SRC packages for the
packages i couldnt install.
It only works after installing libc6-dev

> > I've 5 questions, sorry if they seems too easy for some
> > persons but it's my first mail server running kolab.
> >
> > I've put all the debian pakages in the /kolab/RPM/PKG/ directory,
> > 1) -why obmtool could not use some of then ?
> > It tells "impossible to find grep.x.X.x.rpm pakage" for example and i'm
> > sure in the begining of the installation i had this pakages in the
> > directory, so
>
> When using obmtool, you can put the packages anywhere and just
> start obmtool in that directory. Obmtool will install the packages
> within /kolab/RPM/ by itself.
>
> > 2) -why some pakages, like amavisd, grep; imapd,... have disapear?
> > So i've used the source pakages too.
>
> I do not know what you mean, our servers and mirrors should be complete,
> except there is an error.
> From where did they disappear?

They have disappear in my local directory i used for the installation.

> > An other problem.
> > I've tried to put this server in a company near of mine, when i've
> > pluged and started the server, "impossible to connect to ldap server"
> > when i've returned to my office it works an other time.I don't don't how
> > and why(same network configuration).
>
> It could be that the port was not free yet or the ldap server not
> started. You can use normal unix methods to find out about the network
> connections and if the services are running. Check the ldap log if slapd was
> not running.
>
> > 3) -Have you an idea, or how can i find the problem to not have this
> > issue an other time?
>
> Check the log.
> If you like, set up some monitoring.
>
> > On my laptop the kolab server only works in localhost, i've no firewall.
> > 4) How can i solve this problem?
>
> If you gave the Kolab Server a real hostname with a dns entry,
> it will also listen on outside interfaces. You can use a firewall,
> but you do not need to. Did I get the question right?

Solved a problem with old iptable rules, sorry for the noise.

>  And my last question.
> > 5) Using the obmtool routine, install the antivirus, and antispam, do
> > this services need any updates ? And how to make it ?
>
> Yes, they need updates.
> Clamav will get them once a day, in standard configuration.
> Check the spamassassin documentation of how to learn and tune
> the spamfiltering, too. Amavis can run other additional programs for those
> purposes, so you should check its configuration file, too.
> (There might be something in the Wiki about this.)
>
> Bernhard
Thank you very much taking time to answer me !!!