Cyrreconstruct corrupting mailbox.. How do I use it ?

Kevin Baker kevbaker at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 23:55:30 CET 2005

--- Bernhard Reiter <bernhard.reiter at intevation.de> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> did you meanwhile solve the error?
YES!!! So I have been working at this for a couple weeks
now. I have pretty much cornered how all this works.

Basically doing anything outside of Kolab admin that
requires command line, means you need to focus on every
last detail, especially file permissions. I have found that
if the perms are off at all things don't work consistantly.
Once that is set it works great!

Basically, it has to be like this:

[perms]

  > chown -R kolab-r:kolab-r \
  >   /kolab/var/imap/spool/{DOMAIN}/{USERNAME}

[mode]
directories (drwx--S---):

files including cyrus.* meta files (-rw-------):
  > chmod -R chmod a-rwx,u=rw \
  >   /kolab/var/imap/spool/{DOMAIN}/{USERNAME}

I wasn't sure how to make command line figure out perms of
dirs vs files.. so I wrote a CLI php script for it. Works
great!

So I will be posting my findings on the wiki, plus have
writting a bunch of CLI tools in PHP, commandline. These
handle automating fixes for all sorts of things... figure
that they can maybe work there way into the kolab admins at
some point if people are interested in mailbox maintenance
tools.

> I also used cyrreconstruct sucessfully a couple of times,
> so it of course _can_ work.
> It seems that the folder need to be created somehow
> and also cyrreconstruct can be picky about the parameters
> it gets.
> If you still have problems,
> can you try a cyrreconstruct in a folder that was already
> created
> and if this does not work, using strace?
>
> Bernhard
>
> Am Montag, 31. Oktober 2005 20:55 schrieb Kevin Baker:
> > response below
>
> (Better delete as many unneeded lines as possible. Many
> people
> will have access to the original email in the thread
> anyway.)

> information on all

> cyrreconstruct with
>
> > So I was definitely su'ed in as kolab-r. It still had
> the problems.

Kevin Baker
Mission Vi Inc.
kbaker at missionvi.com