Kolab2 architecture/format flaws

Matt Douhan matt at fruitsalad.org
Fri May 13 21:01:33 CEST 2005

On Friday 13 May 2005 16.03, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 12. Mai 2005 23:59 schrieb Zachariah Mully:
>
> Hi,
>
> > that the solution should be to get a faster machine... Regardless, the
> > method which the webclient currently uses to pull calendar entries is
> > horribly inefficient any way you cut it and it's my feeling this going
> > to bite a lot of people in the ass as soon as they try to scale it up.

I do not think number of users is the issue at hand, we have large enough
installations and still growing them without pain, but based on previous
statements in this thread it sounds like time is the issue at hand, as events
accumulate with time and when 2000 users have 2000 events in their calendars
then it becomes a problem, and I for one is very intrested in this part of
the issue.

> I fully agree and proposed a remedy long ago!
>
>  Though the web client is not bound to the Proko2 contract and so we did
> not care that much at this stage.
>
> Fortunately the problem can be fixed later in a nearly good fashion. So if
> you put in some effort or money you can get it solved.

There has been discussions about using caching in the web client to ease the
server load and when/if that happens and Horde runs on a dedicated machine
that it ought to scale pretty well.

--
Matt Douhan
www.fruitsalad.org