OpenLDAP performance issues

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Sun May 8 11:01:27 CEST 2005

Hi,
I did some performance testing, sending 5000 mails in approx. 60 minutes,
while delivering this mails took approx. 68 minutes. I found two
bottlenecks, one is amavis the other OpenLDAP. This are the number of
OpenLDAP operations and connections

# Bind, Operations, Monitor
dn: cn=Bind,cn=Operations,cn=Monitor
structuralObjectClass: monitorOperation
monitorOpInitiated: 6734
monitorOpCompleted: 6734

# Unbind, Operations, Monitor
dn: cn=Unbind,cn=Operations,cn=Monitor
structuralObjectClass: monitorOperation
monitorOpInitiated: 3262
monitorOpCompleted: 3262

# Search, Operations, Monitor
dn: cn=Search,cn=Operations,cn=Monitor
structuralObjectClass: monitorOperation
monitorOpInitiated: 48986
monitorOpCompleted: 48985

# Total, Connections, Monitor
dn: cn=Total,cn=Connections,cn=Monitor
structuralObjectClass: monitorCounterObject
monitorCounter: 6574

The surplus of 1,734 connections and operations are leftovers from a
previous small test.
By adding a DB_CONFIG[1] file to /kolab/var/openldap/openldap-data and
adding 'idlecachesize 3000' to slapd.conf performance of slapd could
be increased.
An anonymous bind of nobody would reduce the number of searches, as
each bind requires two search operations.
I just wonder which client is not unbinding cleanly from slapd.

-Dieter

Footnotes:
[1]
set_cachesize 0 15000000 1