Migration to Kolab

Matthias Petz matthias.petz at viper446.de
Tue May 3 22:38:08 CEST 2005

Hi Bernhard,

thank your for the fast and precise answers. Perhaps you can tell me a
little bit more.

>On Monday 02 May 2005 19:44, Matthias Petz wrote:
>> I am thinking about migrating my current home server with Debian 3.0
latest
>> revision to Kolab 2. As far as I know at the moment Kolab Server will be
>> chrooted in /kolab.
>
>It will only be chrooted, if you put it in there.
>There is no chroot by default, it is only put under /kolab.

Is the chroot an option when compiling from source or installing from
binaries?
Or will chroot be set when firing up kolab?

>> What about my old services? Currently I am running Samba, ProFTPD,
>> Postfix+Procmail+Cyrus+Fetchmail+SpamAssassin+ClamAV, Apache and NFS. I
>> think I will have to shutdown each one of them.
>
>It depends, Kolab wants the open ports, but not for NFS or Samba.

So shutting down will prevent troubles when installing.
NFS and Samba Authentification with LDAP could be possible with some
patchwork,
I will play around with it, perhaps I can get it done and build a tutorial
for this.

>> The Cyrus Postboxes can be
>> temporarily exported via imapsync to an old laptop, but the files I
export
>> via Samba/ProFTPD/NFS have their Place in the /-"ROOT"-directory. Can I
>> access them via Softlink from the chroot /kolab or do I need to move
them
>> to other partitions inside /kolab?
>
>You can access them.
>First of all: You should have a backup of your files in case anything goes
wrong.
>(There is always a chance that stuff goes wrong with computers.)

Backup of the really important files, mails and configs will be made for
sure. I can not really back up anything.
I would need around 500-600 GB capacity. I think I will setup an older
laptop for testing purposes first.
Thank You again.

Matthias