IMAP direct

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 21 11:29:51 CET 2005

On Sunday 20 March 2005 20:52, UK Linux wrote:
> Doing email without a domain is imho not really useful.
>

> That's a pity. FYI it's commonplace for small businesses and organisations
> in the UK to have their domain (if they have one) hosted outside the
> organisation. This would make it tricky without incurring costs with the
> hosting company to change DNS configuration in order to run Kolab.

This is a missunderstanding:
You can run Kolab without a _real_ domain, just use an internal one.
You can even do it without a DNS server,
just use static names in /etc/hosts or so.

If you want to exchange emails with the outside world, you must use
real email addresses (this is not a Kolab requirement, it is a general
Email requirement.). :)

> Are you aware if OpenExchange Server requires a fully-functioning domain?
> We may need to try to beg a licence for a charitable organisation from
> them.

If you want to send email (with invitations or whatever) to anybody,
you must have a real email address with a real domain, that is true
for all applications that want to send real emails.

Best,
Bernhard