Weird behavior of KMail 1.8.1 when creating resource folders in an (online) IMAP account

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 09:52:12 CEST 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 08:17, Torsten Kasch wrote:

> On Saturday, 4. June 2005 00:39, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > >
> > > The resource does not work with online imap at all.
> >
> > Then we should probably disable the online IMAP resource, no? I mean
> > where's the sense in allowing the user to create a resource which
> > doesn't work at all?
>
> That leads me to another question: Would it be possible to implement the
> functionality for online IMAP at reasonable costs?

That depends entirely on your definition of reasonable. ;) No, seriously, it
can be done (after all I did it for the old resource) but it's not easy. The
added complexity of asynchronous operations made the resource as a whole a
lot more brittle and I opted for getting the dIMAP case reliable and stable
first.

> While I understand that dIMAP is quite useful on Laptops and probably on
> stand-alone clients it's not really advanteagous at our site: we provide
> (mostly) SunRay terminals as workstations for our 500+ users. The IMAP
> storage of each department resides on the same disk partition as the users'
> home directories of that department (some kind of "social quota" which has
> worked extremely well for quite a few years now ;-) So, allowing dIMAP in
> this setup would be clearly a waste of disk space and backup media --
> especially since many users (including me) have quite large mailboxes
> (several hundred MB upto a few GB).
>
> Maybe we aren't the only site with such a setup (I remember a similar email
> on these lists from earlier this year but cannot seem to find it right
> now). Would it make sense to file a wishlist item in bugzilla?

I understand your reasoning, and I do see the need for this. The plan is to
rewrite the resource to be independent of KMail, such that it does not have
to be running anymore to access your calendar, for example, and accesses the
IMAP folders directly, caching the calendar or contacts data in its native
formats, not as mails. That means that only the groupware data will be cached
locally, completely independently of the user's regular mail. This is a goal
of mine for KDE 4. I would be lying if I told you that I expect it to be done
in time for 3.5, I have lots of other stuff I want to fix before that.

If you need this asap and it is something you'd be willing to spend money on,
please contact my boss, Kalle Dalheimer <kalle at kdab.net>, who will gladly
crack the whip and have me go at it right away, I'm sure, provided you find a
common working definition of "reasonable".

Cheers,

Till