Kolab doesnt seem to use the postfix alias files

John Dempsey johnd at quaketech.com
Wed Jul 27 00:01:56 CEST 2005

Hi All,
I am setting up Majordomo with Kolab to manage mailing lists. (I was
using it before with Postfix with no problems).

The following is from the main.cf file, showing the aliases file as well
as he new aliases.majordomo file.
I modified the main.cf.template file, to get this.

-----main.cf-----------

#   maps
canonical_maps = hash:/kolab/etc/postfix/canonical
virtual_maps =  hash:/kolab/etc/postfix/virtual, ldap:ldapdistlist,
ldap:ldapvirtual
relocated_maps = hash:/kolab/etc/postfix/relocated
transport_maps = hash:/kolab/etc/postfix/transport, ldap:ldaptransport
alias_maps = hash:/kolab/etc/postfix/aliases,
hash:/kolab/etc/postfix/aliases.majordomo
alias_database = hash:/kolab/etc/postfix/aliases,
hash:/kolab/etc/postfix/aliases.majordomo
#virtual_mailbox_maps = $virtual_maps
local_recipient_maps = $virtual_maps

-------------------------

The newaliases command creates the database files ok. (aliases.db and
aliases.majordomo.db)
I added a line to the aliases file as follows as required by majordomo
to direct the list creation
requests to me.

majordomo-owner:         johnd

As a first pass, I tried sending a message to majordomo-owner (with the
@domain.com on it and without it)
and received the following error :

<majordomo-owner at domain.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown
in local recipent table.

I also tried sending a message to one of the lists in the
aliases.majordomo file, with the same result.
(If it's not reading the aliases file then it is unlikely that the other
file would get read either).

It seems like if its not in the LDAP database in some form (mail user,
address book entry or distribution list)
it won't work.

Thanks for the help.

JD