Changing mailer-daemon distribution list membership

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Wed Jul 20 19:13:05 CEST 2005

Henning Holtschneider <henning at loca.net> writes:

> On Wednesday 20 July 2005 16:37, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
>
>> OK, I understand now. From LDAP point of view you cannot *modify* a
>> relative distinguished name by presenting the same rdn but you have to
>> *delete* the entry and recreate it. But this is not what you want.
>> What you actually want to do, is change or add an attribute value and
>> not change the RDN. I have just tested it and it seems to be a bug in
>> webadmin.
>
> Could you perhaps verify if this really is a problem with the webadmin? I've
> seen this error message on two machines when modifying distribution lists
> (not only the MAILER-DAEMON list). It seems to me as if a condition can occur
> at which ldapsearch() does return results even though an entry has been
> deleted and slapcat does not show it.

Well, I tried to modify the mailer-daemon distribution list and got
the described error report. Verifying the directory entries by means
of an LDAP Browser, I use web2ldap, the entry still showed the old
member attribute value. So it must be a bug in webadmin, as the
directory refuses to modify the entry. It seems that webadmin tries to
modify the relative distinguished name as well.
Your remarks on ldapsearch, still presenting already modified or
deleted entries is rather astonishing. Could you reproduce this? If
so, could you start ldapsearch with debugging flag -d-1 and send me
the output as personal mail?

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung