Used charset in ldap tree

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Wed Jul 20 16:13:48 CEST 2005

Frank Matthieß <frankm at lug-owl.de> writes:

> Dieter Kluenter [2005-07-19 23:08 CEST]:
>> "Dieter Kluenter" <dieter at dkluenter.de> writes:

>> > It has to bee UTF-8. (RFC2253)

> I saw that the webinterface converts all values with special characters
> to base64. This seems to be base64 encode iso-8859-15. Is it right?

It has to be UTF-8, and distinguish between data presented by a client
and data stored in the directory.
If a client receives say iso8859-15 encoded data, this data have to be
converted to UTF-8 prior to presenting the data to the directory
server. The other way round, the directory server, in most cases,
presents UTF-8 encoded data to the client and the client may convert
UTF-8 to the given locale. In some cases the data exchanged between
client and server is enclosed in LDIF (LDAP Data Interchange
Format). This format accepts unicode character strings that contain
characters above U+007F (byte 0x7F) as base64 encoded string.

-Dieter
--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://www.dkluenter.de