kolab2 2.0 + kontact - can't get it to work...

T. Ribbrock admin_slox-e at itsef.com
Tue Jul 12 09:09:27 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 01:48:51PM +0200, Till Adam wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 July 2005 13:29, Thomas Ribbrock wrote:
[...]
> > The one thing that wasn't entirely clear to me was that "downloading
> > mail" is also syncing the calendar. Hm. That might require some teaching
> > should we decide to go with kolab... I find that choice a bit
> > unfortunate, as for a "standard user" those two actions are completely
> > unrelated...
>
> Well, that's a side effect of implementing the data store in KMail. It has a
> few advantages, though, such as there being only one global sync process, for
> example, which reduces the risk of forgetting to sync, say, the addressbook,
> when one goes on a business trip.

In that case: What's the "Save" function supposed to do that's in the
pop-up dialog in korganizer (the one you get when you right-click on the
ressource)?

[...]
> > If I find a bit of time tonight or on Friday, I'll do the same. By now,
> > I've built my own test-setup at home as well, so I get a chance to do
> > this once more.
>
> That would be much appreciated, we'll do the same, as soon as there's a bit of
> time.

Ok. I didn't have much time on my hands, so I just ran a few quick
tests. I had one SuSE 9.3 box with an existing user (upgrade from SuSE
9.2, but that user has an NFS mounted $HOME and is used under other
Linux distros as well) and one with a fresh user. With the existing
user, it worked right away. With the fresh user I saw the same problem
as described before - I had to run kmail/korganizer side by side once.

What I'd like to do at some point this week: Create another testuser,
make a backup of all relevant files (I presume they are all located in
$HOME/.kde - or is there anything else?), then perform that magic and do
a diff. Maybe that will give you some more info. Just let me know which
files are the most interesting.

Cheerio,

Thomas