annotations.db problem - how to address that issue?

Henning Holtschneider henning at loca.net
Mon Jul 11 16:57:31 CEST 2005

On Monday 11 July 2005 08:42, Andreas Gungl wrote:

> this morning I had a problem with Kolab's imap server. I've found many,
> many times in the logs:
>
> Jul 11 08:12:07 kolab <error> imap[25761]: DBERROR: opening
> /kolab/var/imapd/annotations.db: cyrusdb error Jul 11 08:12:07 kolab
> <error> imap[25761]: Fatal error: can't read annotations file
>
> A quick look in Google didn't tell me how to solve such a situation
> "correctly". As our users were very impatient, I copied a backup of that
> file into place. But I don't think, that there is no way to rebuild that
> information.

There is no way to rebuid that information - at least there is no command line
tool like db_recover etc. To make things worse, imapd can run for days with
this error so you might end up with no working backup of the annotations.db!

Since the annotation information is crucial to the functioning of the Kolab
server, there should at least be a tool to dump the information from that
database. The annotations could be set with cyradm again after a crash.

I filed this as a wish into the issue tracker, hopefully someone will be able
to take care of it.

Regards,
Henning Holtschneider
--