[Kolab-users] Re: Loosing events in Kontact used with Kolab 2

Matt Douhan matt at fruitsalad.org
Thu Jul 7 15:35:19 CEST 2005

On Thursday 07 July 2005 15.15, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:22:13AM +0200, Timo Springmann wrote:
> > Our conclusion after a few days of testing is, that kontact (+ storing
> > things on an imap server) isn't ready for (our) corporate desktop. At the
> > moment it's unreliable.

Funny this we are > 50 installs and still counting, I would strongly disagree
with your statement.

> > You can't be sure if events get saved on the imap
> > server or not...

I checked our support DB, and this issue has been reported three times since
we set it up, 3 times out of > 1400 support calls, tats very reliable in my
opinion.

> > we really wanted to migrate to kontact but if you have
> > to earn money and have to count on your calendar/todos it's better not to
> > use kontact - actually that's what _we_ think.

Funny this one too, we do make money and we definatly count on the full
kontact functionality.

> > We're still using kontact
> > as our main email client, but not as calendar and todo list. We'll follow
> > the development of kontact and we're going to use it as soon as it's
> > reliable....

What we do is sponsor developers, we sponsored one developer and contracted
another company to do some work as well, sitting idle on the sideline is not
benefitial to anyone.

> it is not exactly fair to blame volunteer developers for not delivering
> a product ready for corporate use.

I could not agree more.

> If you are planning to sell Kolab solutions to your customers, I suggest
> you arrange a third-level support contract with Kolab-Konsortium. This way
> more developers are paid for working on Kontact in general and
> working on the specific problems you face in particular.
> Or you do it on your own or you contract someone else.

And this model has been prooven to work perfect so I strongly recommend this
too, also note that the Kolab Konsortium is not the only company that offers
professional kolab support, there are others too like us that develop
solutions around kolab + clients and doing so very successfully.

regards

Matt