kolab2 2.0 + kontact - can't get it to work...

Thomas Ribbrock admin_slox-e at itsef.com
Wed Jul 6 13:29:05 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:57:05AM +0200, Till Adam wrote:

> Hm, could you point me to that post, please? Web-archive maybe?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=suse-linux&m=112063881314671&w=2

According to this, especially "free/busy" is a problem (which in turn
would pose a problem for me... :-} )

[...]
> > Still no server communication except for IMAP traffic, though
> > (I have a tcpdump session running on that).
>
> that's normal, as there is none. The events are stored as mails and
> transported via imap on sync (mail check).

Ah.

> > Nor does freebusy work if I
> > try to watch that on the second workstation or directly via URL/browser.
>
> Freebusy lists are created on the server, from the contents of the folders
> there. So once you have synced up your events (checked mail) the server will
> generate the fb lists from that and they will be available automatically, at
> the urls specified in the documentation.

Right. Then I might have misunderstood the troubleshoot document:
http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/doc/raw-howtos/freebusy-troubleshooting.txt

<quote>
You should also see the triggering of the free/busy list generation.
The triggering is done with http requests to a certain URL and looks
like this in the log:

  client.domain - user2 [20/May/2005:14:20:28 +0200] "GET /freebusy/trigger/user2/Calendar.pfb HTTP/1.1" 200 519
</quote>

I always thought that kontact/korganizer/kmail were supposed to call the
URL.

The one thing that wasn't entirely clear to me was that "downloading
mail" is also syncing the calendar. Hm. That might require some teaching
should we decide to go with kolab... I find that choice a bit
unfortunate, as for a "standard user" those two actions are completely
unrelated...

> Ok, apparently the rpms you use were built without debugging, so there isn't
> any usefull output. Pity, but not a problem for you.

That's something... :-)

> I really wonder why running the side by side once made a difference. Can you
> confirm that it works without problems now both standalone and in Kontact?

I just did. I also ran them separately on my second test workstation
(for a second testuser) just now - same result. It magically works.

And, even better: Now that I've done that on both machines, with two
users, for the first time I can make a group appointment and see the
correct free/busy data for the second participant. YES! Admittedly, I
HATE it when solutions are that vague, but at least I'm finally seeing
some progress...

> I'll try to reproduce with a new user and Suse's rpms, then.

If I find a bit of time tonight or on Friday, I'll do the same. By now,
I've built my own test-setup at home as well, so I get a chance to do
this once more.

Cheerio,

Thomas