kolab ldap using SQL backend

Richard Bos radoeka at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 31 10:25:06 CET 2005

Op zondag 30 januari 2005 23:41, schreef Martin Konold:
> Yes, I understand. Basically this is about referential integrity as
> typically provided by normalized relational databases.
>
> LDAP on the other hand is about directories. Directories are a little bit
> different from relational databases. E.g. directories (either X.400 or
> LDAP) tend to be redundant and incoherent.

Out of interest, when does one use an ldap server and when is an DB
applicable?  AFAIK LDAP is used for data that is hardly changes, but is
frequently read.  Which is the case for user information (like uid and such).
But when this information gets combined with other information such as
company name, and company information, it seems that the data is better
stored in a relational database, isn't?

I can imagine that in the end it might be better to have just all data in an
database and to have some data (the data that an email client or an login
process expect from ldap) to be copied into an ldap database isn't?

In case information that exists in the ldap server is updated in the
relational db, a function should update the ldap server.

Is my assumption correct?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless