About CalDAV

Helge Hess helge.hess at opengroupware.org
Wed Jan 12 00:30:14 CET 2005

On 9. Jan 2005, at 11:46 Uhr, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>>> The cited URLs don't define a storage format but refer to iCalendar
>>> and define
>>> a transport / query mechanism.
>> iCalendar _is_ the storage format for CalDAV.
> And I thought CalDAV was a protocol... [*]

It is.

>> There is the Calsify working group do work on that, its open, feel
>> free
>> to join! CalDAV choose to clean up the existing approach instead of
>> throwing away all existing work and start something completely new.
> The Kolab project is also open and free to join,
> it has decided on a different way of profiting from the existing work
> and experiences than CalDAV and has a different aim.

Yes, NIH is everywhere ;-)

> [*]
>> a) CalDAV is not a database, its a protocol

This doesn't contradict. The storage format of the protocol (that used
in GET/PUT requests) is iCalendar. I suggest to read up on REST, but I
rather think you don't care to understand it ;-)

How the data is actually stored inside the database is a matter of the
implementation and will only be iCalendar for trivial servers.

But anyway, nitpicking.

Greets,
   Helge
--