Disable User

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Feb 24 12:05:01 CET 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 18:16, Hamish wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 16:05, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Monday 21 February 2005 17:19, Hamish wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > > How would it be possible to disable a user in kolab? We have users that
> > > leave, but we want to keep their mailboxes available for a certain
> > > time, but we do not want them to receive mail. I am not an expert with
> > > postfix/ldap it seems that postfix lookup only looks for alias when
> > > deciding what to do with mail.
> > >
> > > Would it be possible to just remove the Mail attribute from the user?
> >
> > I think this can work, though it is untested.
>
> After trying it, this is a problem too, because although they now have no
> mail property (and postfix will bounce messsages to them), they may still
> be in distribution lists,

Does that have an effect when email is send to this lists?

>  and the only (web-gui) way to do this is to look
> through every single distribution list and manually delete them(painful!).
> This is needed here - people can quit/be fired/be killed by it dept etc,
> and disabling/removing them should be quick and easy!

You are right in that we should have a script for this
and possibly integrate it into the webinterface then.
I suggest that you file a wish for the tracker
and then we need to search for a person to write it.

> > Also you can write garbage in the user password.
>
> This will stop them logging in, but their mailbox will continue to grow.

Yes, this was just an additional measure.

Another measure is to just archive the emails of the person
in question and take them off the imap system.

Bernhard