names and UID

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Mon Feb 21 21:34:54 CET 2005

Am Sonntag 20 Februar 2005 22:32 schrieb Martin Konold:
> Am Sonntag, 20. Februar 2005 21:13 schrieb Thorsten Schnebeck:
> > Why not use the UID?
>
> With Kolab for many reasons the dn which is created from the cn and the
> domain is unique.
>
> From the dn we derive the primary email address which is _globally_ unique.
>
> So in you case you must define a globally unique email address.
I do not understand. If I create two globally unique email address
in "Primary Email Address" I still get this error?! I have to change "First
name" and "Last name" to get a different e.g. "cn=Hans1 Meier" and "cn=Hans2
Meier"

> > using Kolab2 :-/ It is out of question, that someone gets a counting
> > number like hans1, hans2 in its addressbook data.
>
> Which is much better than non unique entries which belong to different
> persons.

Really? Using kio_ldap and KWord for making a serial letter I send the Easter
greeting card to "Hans1 Meier" and "Hans2 Meier"? Sorry ,this is plain wrong
and not neccessary. Emailaddress or UID are unique and so it is not problem
to have hundreds of Hans Meier's, Peter Müller's and Jan Janssen's.

(Ok, we only have two Andreas Schmidts ;-)

> > It must be possible to solve
> > this when ther is a UID for authentification.
>
> The UID in Kolab is for _optional_ alternative authentification.

I understand, but why is there this dependency to the first and last name?
Is this normal? How does it work in other groupware?

> We still always require a unique primary email address.

True, good! -  but I'm also forced to use different names(?)

> Regards,

Confused :-)

  Thorsten