Using Kolab2 without Postfix?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Feb 10 14:17:20 CET 2005

Hi Martin,

On Thursday 10 February 2005 09:50, Martin Brodbeck wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 10 Februar 2005 09:05 schrieb Martin Konold:

> Yes, this is what I thought about. Is it possible to configure kolab in the
> manner that it integrates seamless?
> What I mean is:
> - Mailbox storage/backup is covered by the already existing mailing system.
> - The users keep on using their existing mail addresses
> - Sending invitations works :)

Note that for calendar storage to work,
Kolab clients need a compatible imap server.

All Kolab clients can send invitations without this calendar storage
using a local storage. Then you need to handle freebusy list differently.
but the client also can do this. The drawback is that you do not have central
storage, vacation messages and calendar sharing anymore.
So for most practical reason, you want to store the calendars on a server.

Naturally it makes sense to also store the email in the same place,
but you could give clients a different place where they can get emails
from. Like another imap oder pop server.
Once the email is received by the client, they can store the calendar
and contact parts over the kolab server account.
They would still have space on the kolab server account to save additional
emails, because all objects in Kolab are saved as emails anyway,
but when it is your policy, all email would be on the "additional email server".

So it is probably possible.
Keep your Kolab server configured as before, only do not relay incoming
emails to it, but to the "additional email" server.
(So you keep the postfix, but do not feed it the email you are receiving.)

Configure the clients in addition to the Kolab server accounts
to also get and store emails on that "additiol email server".

Bernhard