Multiple people using same user account

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 15:02:03 CET 2005

Hello all
Does anyone have any suggestions about this?

We have a couple of groups of people who share workstations, and thus, also
email. What we have done so far is to make a single user
repairs at mydomain.com. This works fine for those users, but now the problem
comes. The manager of the department also wants to receive mail sent to
repairs at mydomain.com.

FIRST SCENARIO
The obvious answer is to make repairs at mydomain.com a distribution list
instead, I agree with this, but it is not acceptable to the manager, because
then the ldap addressbook will be confusing (we are talking dangerously low
IQ here...) ie
repairsuser at mydomain.com - this is the user account
repairs at mydomain.com - the distribution list that sends to both
repairsmanager at mydomain.com and repairsuser at mydomain.com.

Unfortunately this is unacceptable because there will be 2 similar entries in
the addressbook, which will confuse. Is there a way of hiding users from the
addressbook? (I doubt it, because my search base is objectclass=*)

SECOND SCENARIO
The one we have gone with is to set up forwarding from the user. This is not
ideal, but it seems to be the best way to do this not-normal task.

If anyone can think of a better way to do this, I would be very grateful for
any suggestions.

Thanks,