QUE CARACTERISTICAS ESPECIALES TIENE KOLAB 2

Markus Heller markus at relix.de
Mon Dec 26 23:59:51 CET 2005

Dear Luis,

> Tengo instalado un servidor Exchange en una red compuesta por 25 estaciones
> y 4 servidores, muy pronto vamos a migrar toda la instalación a linux, pero
> los gerentes van a quedar con windows XP, quisiera saber cuales de las
> caracteristicas de Exchange se pueden mantener para la gerencia
> acostumbrada a cosas como listas globales, relacion secretaria jefe en
> cuanto a la aprobacion de reuniones, y cosas parecidas.
>
> Saludos
> Luis Castillo

I try to translate your email into English...

1.) You have a running Exchange server for 25 clients and you want to migrate
the whole installation to Linux, right?

2.) You would like to offer your users an environment which is similar to that
of XP, where they won't need to adjust too heavily...

3.) You need global lists --> Do you only need company-internal lists or also
lists with external email addresses?

4.) You need shared calendaring

5.) You need access rights to email and other ressources.

---***---

ad: 1.) fine. Kolab is the right thing for you. Consider the installation with
LVM2, in order to enable a suitable backup architecture. See the wiki and the
LVM-HowTo for these purposes. Especially the "frequently required activities"
or similar right at the end.
ad: 2.) Perfect. See 1.) There are connectors like that from Toltec which
keeps every option open for your users. They may even continue to run M$
Software. Though, using a client like Kontact on KDE is probably the best
solution.
ad: 3.) If you need real distribution lists, you should think about
integrating a list server like mailman or majordomo. But there has been a
vital discussion on this issue in the community. Currently, distributing
emails to internal as well as external mail addresses is not supported by
kolab directly, but you would require to set up this workaround.

Though, the developers are thinking on building y solution for you which will
be available in one of the next releases.

ad: 4.) Perfect. See 1.) This is a supported feature.
ad: 5.) Perfect. See 1.) This is a supported feature.

Please excuse my poor Spanish, but I hope I got it right :-)

Regards
Markus